Welcome to Yale Enforcement Services Blog. Please take a moment to register by entering your email address in the 'Subscribe via email' box below. You will then receive an email anytime this blog is updated. Please send articles of interest and comments to: Editor@YaleEnforcement.com

Friday, November 18, 2011

Lieutenant Tuggle Saves the Day

Region 5 would like to recognize Lt. Mark Tuggle for his outstanding performance in handling a fire in a patient’s room at one of our hospitals.  Below are his statements of events that occurred:

On 11-10-11 at approximately 2:13, I, Lt. M. Tuggle, heard over intercom CODE RED 2 but the call sounded interrupted. I immediately started toward PBX to find out what the issue was. As I entered the administrative corridor, I still did not notice any audible alarms, however PBX recalled the CODE to room 220. I proceeded up the stairs to the second floor. Reaching the second floor I observed the nurses closing doors stating there was a fire in room 220. I stated loudly “pull a station and bring fire extinguishers”.  The 2nd floor secretary pulled the alarm as I grabbed an extinguisher and entered the room. Upon entering I observed a flame coming from a red receptacle and extinguished it.  Steve with Plant Operations entered and I advised him to open the window to vent off the room.  He ran out of the room to gather a screw driver and returned quickly. I assisted opening the window with Steve and then I advised him to open up the wall.  At this point Kevin and Tim with Plant Ops also arrived into the room.  As Steve was opening up the wall, Tim and Kevin assisted in pulling the sheet rock and insulation out of the wall enough so I could put another blast from the extinguisher into the wall.  Once this was done the fire was no longer a threat and all smoldering items were extinguished.  Plant operations had shut the power to the room and respiratory had shut off the O2. I then exited the room and advised all parties to exit the room to get some fresh air and allow some of the powder chemicals to subside. I then headed down stairs to meet with the fire department. I met one engine Captain who I advised of the situation and suggested a vent fan. The captain and a crew member were escorted upstairs and vented the room.  I also received a call from PBX advising that the lab was stating their compartment was full of smoke and smelled of something burning. I left the captain and headed to the lab where I noticed smoke and did smell a burn smell, however did not see any issues. It had seemed to just be residual smoke from the above floor. I headed back upstairs and advised the captain who agreed. The fire department then cleared at approximately 3:00. I then found a tech who was in the room at the beginning, who advised me that she unplugged her machine and noticed the spark and fire. She states that she removed the patient from the room and advised the nurses’ station secretary of the fire in room 220. The machine Taylor was using was removed from service immediately. Taylor also stated that the O2 meter on the wall was leaking at the time of the spark. I  gathered information and cleared at approximately 4:00.

Lt. Tuggle, thank you for your quick actions and the outstanding performance you showed in handling this situation.  By taking charge and maintaining calm of the situation, you were able to save the lives of patients and minimize property damage for our client.  Yale and the facility are very grateful for your actions.

Lori Morrow,
Regional Manager- Region 5

No comments:

Post a Comment